Year of Fishing 2015
What is the Year of Fishing?
The Year of Fishing 2015 (YOF2015) is a series of events hosted by partner organizations along the Mississippi River, including local businesses, non-profit groups and government agencies. These events will lure residents and visitors out to experience the sights and sounds of the river as it changes throughout the year.
Connect people to the Mississippi River through recreational fishing and river stewardship.
Offer at least 100 fishing activities and events for youth and families.
Encourage partners to provide current informational materials about fishing and fisheries conservation along the Mississippi River.
Encourage life jacket wear and provide information to anglers and the general public about selecting, fitting and proper wearing of life jackets.
The Year of Fishing 2015 follows two successful series of events coordinated by the Mississippi River Connections Collaborative, the Summer of Paddling 2012 and Year of Cycling 2013. These events highlight outdoor recreation along the Mississippi River by teaching participants safe techniques to experience the outdoors. Thousands of people have participated in these recreation events to learn a new skill or create a lifelong hobby.
Year of Fishing 2015 Event Calendar and Map VIEW EVENTS
How To Fish
Free Fishing Weekends
State Regulations and Resources (Check season dates, Free fishing days, etc.)
Hosting a Year of Fishing 2015 Event
1. Determine audience and partners for event.
2. Evaluate participant needs.
• Do participants need a fishing license?
• Will restrooms need to be available?
• Should the event location be handicap accessible?
3. Identify best fishing area for event.
• Event should be held on or near the Mississippi River.
4. Create name for event.
5. Submit and register event via the “Submit an Event” tab.
• Events should be submitted/registered no later than two weeks prior to the event date.
6. Provide education on the following.
• How to properly wear personal floatation devices (life jackets).
• A conservation message such as: Catch and Release, Fish Identification, Leave No Trace ethics, Fishing Line Recycling, etc.
7. Take a photo of participants holding legible sign showing name of event and location.
8. Submit photo within one week after event.
• Email photo to MRCCYearOf@gmail.com
• Make the subject of the email: YOF2015 Event Photo: “Name of Event”
• Include in the email: Event Location, Number of Participants, and Education Topics.
Submitting a Year of Fishing 2015 Event
Fill out the form below to submit and register your event (required fields marked with an asterisk).